Did someone say mezcal? This smoky alcoholic beverage made from agave plants native to Mexico is trending hard in the states right now. Cue Bricia Lopez, LA’s official mezcalera, who knows what she’s talking about when it comes to mezcal and Oaxacan cuisine. She stopped by to record a live show with us and shared her family restaurant’s go-to concoction, Guelaguetza’s Mezcal Margarita.
A common saying among Oaxacans is, “Para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien, también” which translates to, “For all evil, mezcal, and for all good, mezcal too.” Sounds pretty good to us! Grab your cocktail shaker and let this mezcal recipe take you down to Mexico and make you feel like you’re sipping this dreamy cocktail on Oaxaca’s golden coast.
Want more Bricia? Check out her podcast, “Super Mamás.”
Guelaguetza’s Mezcal Margarita
- 2 oz mezcal
- 4 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- 1/2 oz melon liquor
- 1/2 oz limoncello
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- tajin for rimming
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the mezcal, lime juice, triple sec, melon liquor, limoncello and simple syrup.
- Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Place Lime-Tajin on a plate.
- Press the rim of a chilled rocks glass into the mixture to rim the edge.
- Add ice cubes, strain margarita into the glass.