Damn you, sniffles! We hate you. The only plus side to having you follow us around is to have a reason to drink Mash-Up co-founder Amy’s version of this Korean cinnamon ginger tea, traditionally known as sujeonggwa, all day long.
Amy’s Cinnamon Ginger Tea
Get cozy and feel better with Amy's version of of sujeonggwa, Korean ginger cinnamon tea.
- 1 peeled raw ginger root, a couple of knobs’ worth
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 liters water
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 3 dried jujubes, available in Asian markets
- 1 dried persimmon, available in Asian markets
- Put all ingredients into pot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour, until everything is deeply fragrant and you get a nice reddish, caramel color.
- Serve in a mug with a spoonful of honey. Enjoy, and battle the snot monster within.
Posted by Amy S. Choi
Amy is co-founder and editorial director of The Mash-Up Americans. She specializes in getting people to tell stories they never expected to share. She's mom to two Korean-Colombian-Mexican-American kids, aka The Future of America. You can follow her @awesomechoi and find her in Brooklyn.